Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Back To Work!

That's right...I'm back at work! A month ago I was hired as a graphic designer for CB Richard Ellis. It seriously is my dream job! I feel like I have to pinch myself most of the time...considering not too long ago, I didn't think I'd be able to walk up a flight of stairs much less get back to a 40 hour a week design job. :) Kind of amazing.

I have to credit my ability to work with a couple of great docs, some effective meds, a strict/but mild workout regimen, an amazingly supportive wife, and an iron will.

Although I'm working, that does not mean I'm miraculously cured! I still have my fair share of bad days...more than I'd like to think about actually, but I am able to get through them because I've learned what to do to help myself. My body has a hard time maintaining homeostasis internally, so I have to help it externally. What I mean is, I manage my body temperature with heat and/or AC, I nourish myself often, I drink fluids constantly, and I take my meds to help maintain my blood pressure. These are only a few things I have to do on a daily basis, but they happen to be the ones that stick out in my head at the moment.

I'm thrilled to be working and will write again soon about a typical day in the life a working Dysautonomia patient. From the meds I take (and dosages) to what I wear and the exercises I do on my workout days.

Though things are going well for me, I hope on a daily basis a cure is found so that I don't just have to "get through" the day and may even be able to enjoy my day at some point. Not too much to ask, I think.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog. What is your exercise regime? I am trying to figure out how to live better with dysautomonia and would like to integrate exercise in somehow, but can't currently do it without passing out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    Working out was a slow and steady thing for me. I started out riding the recumbent bike for just five minutes every other day at a slow to moderate pace. I did that for a few weeks, then went up to 10 minutes every other day. I did that for a few weeks, then went up to 15 minutes...and so on. I have been doing this for about 9 months now and I am riding the recumbent bike for 25-30 minutes every other day.

    Be patient with yourself...that was the hardest part for me. Being a former athlete, I expected to see results quickly, but soon realized that it wasn't about making progress quickly...it was about making progress at all.

    Good luck, take your time and let me know how you do.

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I am also a former athlete, so this has been quite a shock to my system (physical, mental, and emotional). I will definitely try the recumbent bike. Thanks again, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so welcome Laura! Let me know how it goes and make sure to stay hydrated. Happy holidays!

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello fellow Dysauty : )
    I hope all is good. I stumbled across your page and with you the best!

    Take care
    xoxo
    -erinj0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! Thanks for dropping me a line. It's much appreciated. I wish you all the best too! Take care.

    Rae

    ReplyDelete