Thursday, September 24, 2009

Visit to Stanford

It's been confirmed...I DO NOT HAVE PANIC DISORDER!! :-D

I saw Dr. Wang at Stanford University Medical Center today. He and his nurse Marcia were absolutely wonderful. His nurse came in first and started talking with my partner and I about what I have been experiencing. Dr. Wang came in about 10 minutes later and apologized for keeping us waiting. He picked up where we had left off with Marcia. Both Dr. Wang and Marcia took their time asking us questions and actually listening to our answers. They evaluated my symptoms and did a thorough exam. In fact, the doctor actually did the orthostatics. He took my blood pressure lying, sitting and standing. It was interesting, I was lying there and realized I had never had a doctor take my BP. I also realized that I had never had a doctor and nurse take so much time with me. They were so kind, compassionate, and excellent critical thinkers. By the end of my appointment, Dr. Wang gave me his assessment of my condition and offered a diagnosis.

Dysautonomia. Big, strange sounding word, right? This is the dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system (ANS). The ANS is the control system that affects heart rate, digestion, respiration rate, salivation, perspiration, diameter of the pupils, micturition (urination), sexual arousal, and other functions.



Having a diagnosis is great news. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to treating dysautonomia and it impacts many people. It is also relatively unknown. It occurred to me, after discussing it with my doctor, that it may be something I've had for quite some time. It's unfortunate, but at least it give us something to go on and we can work with the doctors to figure out what forms of treatment work for me. I have come this far and will not give up until this is either fully resolved or at least well controlled.

No comments:

Post a Comment