Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Condition Post San Diego

Since I almost passed out in San Diego, I have not been the same. I am still experiencing the same symptoms and then some (lightheadedness, palpitations, fatigue, foggy head, breathing issues, etc.) and have since had four other episodes of almost passing out. I have been to the ER 4 times, Urgent Care 3 times, and I have seen countless doctors who all come back to the same idea...anxiety, panic disorder. It is disturbing really. They take one look at me and see that I am a 25 year old woman in good shape who can communicate intelligently with them and they decide there can't possibly be something physically wrong. I always hear the same thing, "You're too young for these symptoms." Wow! That's their answer...they went to school for all those years to tell me that I'm too young to feel what I'm feeling. Well from my past, I am quite aware that anything is possible at any age.

Here's a little bit about my patient history. I was born with pneumonia and weak lungs. I've broken more bones than I can count, including my knee and spine. At 16, I had my right kidney removed because it failed. At 17, I had a large osteoblastoma removed from my spine. I also come from a family with extensive health issues. Anything from diabetes and hyperthyroidism to cancer and heart disease. Regardless of my age, the odds aren't really in my favor. Though I must say, I'm much healthier than most of the people in my family. With all of the experiences I've had in the health department, I have come to realize that though age does play a role in certain diseases, there is no rule that says, "If you are 25 years old, you cannot possibly have an issue with ___________."

This brings me to my next point, I know my body very well. I'm willing to bet that I know my body better than a doctor who is an outsider attempting to look in. I know when something isn't right and I've come to the point in my life that if I don't feel well, I'm not going to let a doctor tell me I'm fine when I know differently. Your body knows when something is wrong and it will scream at you until it gets the help it needs. I'm glad I finally learned to listen.

Note for the day: Always listen to your body and trust yourself. If you don't feel well, your body is trying to tell you something...listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment